Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dada was a fighter, he never gives up - Raina

Date : 5/23/10

Calcutta: Suresh Kumar Raina, who will be captaining a new-look Team India on the forthcoming tour of Zimbabwe (tri-series and two T20 Internationals), took questions from The Telegraph, over the phone, on Saturday evening.

The following are excerpts

With just a few days to go before leaving for Zimbabwe, what are your thoughts?

The tour, as I see it, is an excellent opportunity for the young players... It’s nice that the seniors wanted a break and the selectors took the positive step of picking such a young side. Indeed, one is thankful to the Board.

You’ve had some days, between St Lucia and now, to think about your assignment...

I spoke to Gary (Kirsten, the coach) before leaving the West Indies... We talked about the preparations on getting to Zimbabwe... Yes, I’ve been thinking about the job... I’ve got a good pace attack, all are young and hungry... The tour will be an opportunity to learn and press for a regular berth in the ODIs and stake a claim at the highest level — Test cricket.

Captaining a young team... Is that an advantage or a disadvantage?

(Laughs) Look, main bhi young hoon (23)... I’ll be backed by an excellent support staff, which has helped take India to No.1 in Tests and No.2 in ODIs... Plus, the players are so eager... The ODIs are different, but we want the World Twenty20 disappointment to quickly become a thing of the past.

Biggest challenge?

To try and win every game... However, it’s not that I’ll be putting myself under too much pressure... Nor will I put my team under excessive pressure... I realise one has to be disciplined and one must follow the process... The players are full of josh and committed to making a mark... Being the captain, I’m happy with that.

What’s the kind of captain you’ll be?

By nature, I’m very positive and, while on the field, I’m high on intensity... You’ve seen that... Those things won’t change... I’ve learnt from some of our best captains — Dada (Sourav Ganguly) and Mahi (Mahendra Singh Dhoni)... There are certain things that you tend to pick up.

Do you have a role model captain?

As I’ve said, I’ve learnt from Dada and Mahi... Then, my debut (in 2005) was under Rahulbhai (Dravid)... Dada was the fighter-type, not one to give up... Mahi stays calm... Rahulbhai had his own style.

Who makes a good captain?

Somebody who gets the team to bond together, somebody who is able to communicate... Also, somebody who has the respect of his players. Respect bahut zaroori hai. To top it all, he has to be able to deliver when the chips are down... Has to lead from the front. When a captain does that, it becomes easy for him to demand the same effort from teammates.

Has Dhoni given you tips?

He’s asked me to keep things simple... He said that I’d done well in IPL III (captaining the Chennai Super Kings), when he hadn’t been available for three matches.

Stephen Fleming heads the Super Kings’ support staff. Did you exchange captaincy-related notes with him?

I’d liked him as New Zealand’s captain... His advice would always be to be patient and not rush into things, particularly if the moves haven’t gone well ... Fleming would impart practical things... I’ve got a fair idea of captaincy and can assure you I’ll be doing an honest job.

Has there been any communication between the two of you after you got the India captaincy?

Fleming has sent me a ‘do well’ message.

The last one... I assume, in Zimbabwe, nobody will be seen anywhere close to a pub...

Nahin, nahin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More