Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bengal stars of CWG 2010 inspired by Sourav :CWG Medalists

POULOMI GHATAK - - >


National ranking: 1


Delhi CWG show: Silver in women’s team event, bronze in women’s doubles.

How life has changed: “The state government has arranged for our felicitation. We have never received any appreciation from them before, not even a letter or a phone call. So this is a marked change (in attitude). But they are giving flats to a chosen few (sportspersons), which isn’t right. If I don’t get a flat this time, I am determined to move out of the state.”

CWG medal she treasures most: “The doubles bronze with Mouma. She and I go back a long way and winning a doubles bronze in the CWG at home with her will always be special.”

CWG moment: “It was after the doubles bronze. I usually break down when I lose. But this time I found myself crying after winning. Mouma, who was hugging me, said: ‘Pom, you are shaking’. I became very emotional.”
Fiancé Soumyadeep Roy being there: “I blindly followed his advice on diet and exercise. I even used the racket he asked me to.”

Life at the Games village: “We were very apprehensive before entering it. But we found it to be world class. At the Melbourne CWG in 2006, there were no ACs in our rooms. Nobody complained once the officials explained that the weather was usually more pleasant at that time of the year and, so, they hadn’t installed ACs.”
Sports and sportspersons she loves to watch: “I love tennis and badminton.
I watch ODIs too, and admire Sourav Ganguly, especially his leadership qualities.”

SOUMYADEEP ROY - - >

National ranking: 1

Delhi CWG show: Bronze in men’s team event.

How life has changed: “The adulation has been terrific this time as the Games were played at home. Even friends and relatives seemed more appreciative. As a team, we had done better in the Melbourne CWG, winning gold.”
Fiancée Poulomi Ghatak being there: “Oh yes! I was a bit down after one of the team games for which I had been ignored by the team management, and which we lost. But she was full of support and it helped me come back in the tournament.”

Next target: “The Asian Games, of course. We will try our best, though it will be tough with China, Korea and Chinese Taipei around.”

Sports and sportspersons he loves to watch: Tennis and football. “I used to be a huge fan of Boris Becker and Andre Agassi. Now it’s Federer. In football, it’s Christiano Ronaldo
and in cricket, of course, Souravda (Ganguly). The comeback by Dada in December 2006 is my biggest inspiration. Around the same time, I was down after being dropped from the Indian side. The way Dada stamped his authority on that Johannesburg Test gave me the confidence to work hard and make a comeback.”

Best wishes to both of them Frm SG fans..!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More