Saturday, October 3, 2009

McCullum: Am sure relationship with Sourav will remain strong


DATE :OCTOBER 3/2009


Johannesburg: Brendon McCullum, the New Zealand vice-captain, is among the most exciting of batsmen in limited overs cricket --- be it the 50-over game or in T20.

McCullum (28), who is on the rolls of the Kolkata Knight Riders, spoke to The Telegraph on Friday, after a truly exhausting training session at the Wanderers.

The following are excerpts

Q To start with the Knights... Are you available for the 2010 IPL?

A (Grins) There’s still some water to go under the bridge... At this stage, because of Australia’s tour of New Zealand, I’m definitely not available for the entire edition... Let’s see what happens between now and next March... Eventually, one could be available for around 60 per cent of the 2010 IPL.

Five months on, how do you look back on this year’s IPL, where the Knights finished last?

We had high hopes, but the way we went was disappointing... Hopefully, we’ll learn from our mistakes and become better and stronger... We’ll be drawing inspiration from the Deccan Chargers and the Royal Challengers Bangalore, who finished one and two after being at the bottom in 2008... The way I see it (in T20), if you’re on a winning run, then that gets maintained... If you’re on a losing streak, that stays, too... I’d wanted, as always, to make an impact, but that didn’t happen.

John Buchanan chose you to be the captain this year... Now that he’s out of the franchise, do you expect uncomfortable moments in the dressing room?

I don’t think so... I hope not... Everybody involved with the Knights is very much committed... There’ll be a new coach and I do expect a different environment... There’ll be different challenges and I’m confident everybody will work in the best interest of the franchise.

Sourav Ganguly, whom you replaced at the helm, is expected to be back as the captain. How would that work out?

I’m not sure who’ll be the captain, but if it’s Sourav, then he and I share a good relationship... I’m sure this relationship will remain strong.

You’re the New Zealand vice-captain and have already captained a few matches in a stand-in capacity. Did leading the Knights give you a better insight into captaincy?

Look, one will learn by captaining a team with such a huge following and by leading it in such a huge environment as the IPL... Down the track, I’m sure the lessons I’ve learnt will come in handy.

The captaincy, though, changed your game... We didn’t see the free-flowing McCullum...

The way we were playing, the pressure we put ourselves under... Those things contributed... I did play a bit more aggressively later, but I did have to mould my game differently early on.

Has the captaincy experience, both with the Knights and in a stand-in capacity for New Zealand, whetted your appetite for the job?

(Grins) At the moment, my job is to score runs and take catches... Play my role as New Zealand’s vice-captain... I like making an impact and my job is to help the team become more consistent... Of course, if I’m found worthy, it would be great to captain New Zealand.

You’re the aggressive type and that, surely, is your USP...

I like being positive, like getting on to the front foot... I enjoy playing the aggressive brand of cricket. But, then, there could be times when the team’s requirement is different. I have to adjust then.

Your blazing 158 not out in the 2008 IPL opener, in Bangalore, caught everybody’s imagination. Have you, since, grown as a cricketer?

I’d like to think so... Every experience tends to make you a better cricketer and it would be nice to always have a performance up on the board... I took a lot of positives from that one innings.

Given the pressure on today’s cricketers, how do you handle it?

I don’t think there are that many jobs which could be done with as much fun... Pressure, really, is part and parcel of the game... At times, it gets tough and you’ve got to think beyond yourself, but one accepts it.

The last one: What are your thoughts on the eve of the semi-finals (against Pakistan) here and when looking to the rest of the season?

Oh, I’m pretty excited... I’ve made a few contributions in this Champions Trophy and it would be satisfying to win the tournament... There’s a lot of cricket ahead... I’ll be looking to maintain the form I’m in. (After a pause) Once the Champions Trophy ends, I’ll be in India for the Champions League and it would be nice to do well for the Otago Volts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More