Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dav, not Shah Rukh, broke the news - First Sourav comments after KKR release

Calcutta, Dec. 14: The Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) coach, Dav Whatmore, not principal owner Shah Rukh Khan, informed icon Sourav Ganguly that the Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise would neither be retaining him nor any other cricketer.

“Yes, Dav was honest about the whole thing.… Shah Rukh and the other owners have the right to revamp KKR and that has been exercised.… I accept that KKR have underperformed in the first three seasons, there’s no doubt there, but while revamping, owners must generally be careful in doing away with the performers,” Sourav told The Telegraph this evening.

The hugely popular franchise finished last in the IPL’s second edition, a performance which was preceded and followed by third-last finishes.

Speaking for the first time after the KKR decision was made public officially last week, Sourav said: “I haven’t thought much about it, so I can’t convey my feelings to you.… Can’t say whether I’m disappointed or not.... That KKR would’ve had to pay $1.8 million to keep me could also have been a factor.… That’s a big sum and the franchise has chosen to enter the auction with the entire kitty — $9 million.…”

Talking on the drive to the airport to catch a Delhi-bound flight for the Bengal-Railways Ranji match from tomorrow, Sourav added: “Of course, the chance is there that I may still be bought by KKR at the auction.… Equally, in IPL IV, I could be turning out for a new franchise.


“Experience has taught me that there’s no point losing sleep over selection matters.… Why fret over something totally beyond my control? At the end of the day, a batsman should score and, last season, I totalled close to 500 runs... 493, in fact.… Performance is in my control, surely not the other things.”

Understandably, perhaps, there was a hint of emotion.

Significantly, there has been “no communication” between Sourav, who captained KKR in the first and third editions, and Shah Rukh, even after the decision became public.

What about the millions who connect with KKR through him?

Sourav replied: “At this stage, I wouldn’t like to comment.… After all, the auction isn’t over.… It’s to be seen what happens.… The franchises had the opportunity to retain players and quite a few have been kept out of the auction.… I’m surprised why the Delhi DareDevils didn’t hold on to Gautam Gambhir and why the Rajasthan Royals didn't keep Yusuf Pathan.”

Asked if the Sahara-owned Pune franchisee would go all out for him in the auction, Sourav answered: “I don’t know. It’s an open process. X may bid $1 million for a particular player, but Y could throw in $1.2 million.… What then? You can’t predict anything.…”

Few would take him on there.

Footnote: “It’s a two-way traffic, not a one-way flow.… Bengal are getting my services in some crucial matches and I’m able to stay in touch with the game and stay in shape for the IPL,” Sourav pointed out.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More